10 Top Packing Tips
Where to start:
- Begin packing early and only pack one room at a time.
- Start packing items that are not used frequently, such as books, out of season clothing, etc.
- Label each carton on the sides and top with its contents and the room it is going into.
- Heavy items like books and appliances should be packed in their own smaller sized box so that they are lighter to handle.
Protecting your goods:
- Individually wrap and pack each item.
- Place packing paper or buffering at the bottom of each carton: blankets, pillows, and towels work well for this purpose.
- Mark cartons as Heavy or Fragile if necessary.
- Pack boxes to their full capacity by using crunched packing paper to fill empty spaces, but do not overload in such a way that the box may lose its shape, or rupture.
- Use large amounts of packing tape to secure both sides of each box.
- Make sure that doors and drawers of your furniture are securely shut (use tape, rope or strong ribbon).
- Take shelving out of cupboards and units.
- Empty dressers- hanging clothes can go in a Port-A-Robe boxes.
- Freezers, refrigerators, washers, driers, stoves, etc., should be dry and clean. If you choose to discard any of these items, make sure that a child cannot enter and be locked inside.
Paintings & Posters:
- Use bubble wrap and cover with cardboard – it protects the glass and picture frame.
Lamps & Lampshades:
- Remove light bulbs from lamps. Put shades in a separate box and mark “Fragile”.
- Pack in original packaging if possible. Pack each item individually. Use bubble wrap and mark “Fragile”.
- Backup all your files onto CDs or DVDs.
Before the move:
- Make a list of all your cartons and their contents.
- Essential items you want first access to, should be the last boxes loaded into the removal truck.
- Brisbane removals best value removalist, On TheMove Removals will relocate you in a time efficient manner with friendly staff, professional polite and always helpful.